By Diane Winiecki
With all council members present, residents thanked the Bryant City Council for addressing the drainage problems in the Forest Cove Subdivision and for the assurance of continued improvements to come. Council members welcomed the positive input to start their meeting.
A presentation by Shane Broadway and Paul Doramus addressed the continuing work of SCEDC (Saline County Economical Development Corporation), expressing their excitement about the future development to come in Saline County. Among the things, they mentioned was the Saline County airport area, referring to it as an ideal location for new business, with interest being shown for that locale.[more]
The Saline County Airport has a 5,000-foot runway and parallel taxiway, 1,200 acres site total with 715 acres for future development and ILS to go online in early 2009. The land for the airport was donated by the Aluminum Company of America (ALCOA) to the Saline County Airport Commission in August of 2002.
Suzanne Passmore, executive director, and Chris Chumley, program director, of the Bryant Boys and Girls Club presented the council with a video showing pictures of the different programs offered at BBGC helping 360 kids on a daily basis achieve good leadership skills, a sense of responsibility to their communities and the ability to differentiate between right and wrong.
Chumley explained that the BBGC is a voice for the kids. Dealing with, at times, adult issues such as divorce, abuse, and problems that children should not have to worry about is a part of BBGC, he explained. Chumley invited the council to come and see what a day at Club is like. Volunteers are always welcome and needed.
In new business, Bryant has been pre-approved to submit a grant application to the state of Arkansas for the Forest Cove drainage replacement project. Pre-approval is required before the formal application can be filed.
Other approvals voted on and passed include:
• B & M Trailer Park, located on Highway 5, sewer hook up being tied into the city of Bryant;• To rezone certain property from R-E to R-2, Oakbrook Subdivision;
• To abandon Wise Street and a portion of Boswell Road within the corporate limits of the city of Bryant as a public right-of-way, and for other purposes including the safety of students crossing the road and helping with bus drop off;
• Allocation of $40,000 from unallocated 2010 budget surplus for Providence and Independence Street improvements with a possible bike lane;
• The approval of four new job descriptions for the new Boswell Park including Aquatic Coordinator, Facility Weekend Supervisor, Parks Facility Operator, and Program Coordinator;
• Approval of the purchase of three trucks for the use of water/wastewater departments at a total cost of $71,737.18, which was recommended and approved by the finance and personnel committee prior to city council meeting.
The Bryant City Council meets the second Thursday of every month beginning at 7 p.m., with the next meeting on May 13 at city hall.